Monday, October 13, 2014

Day Twenty-Three: Comfort

When you're thrown into a new environment, you don't have the normal comforts you're used to. Being at college, living with people who were perfect strangers before we moved in, definitely can put you out of your comfort zone. I know it did for me. While I've been here, I've been finding other comforts, or finding ways of bringing some of my comforts from home here. For instance, I really liked being on a team, so I joined swim club. Having that as part of my schedule has become more than just a time to exercise and be with a group of people, it has become comforting and helps me get through the day.
One comfort from home I've missed has been my pets. This summer we had to put our dog down, so I've been missing her for some time now. I also really miss my cats. All my life I have been a cat person; I have so much love for every cat I see, and I think they are easier to get along with than most humans. I didn't realize how much I'd miss petting them everyday, or having Fred, as annoying as it could be, pawing through my hair when I sit down. I have always had pets around, so it's very strange to not have pets here at school. Today, however, I was able to meet one of my suite mate's dogs. He is this little, fluffy pomeranian. It was so comforting to be able to pet an animal again. It brought to light just how much I miss the feel of petting an animal. I wish that I could have a comfort dog or cat around.
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment