Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day Twelve: Second City

Tonight I saw Second City perform at the Flynn. The Flynn is a theatre in downtown Burlington. Second City, a sketch comedy and improv group from Chicago, has a touring cast. This is where the likes of Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Steven Colbert got their starts as actors and comedians.  The show was a true pleasure to see. I was laughing from start to finish. The actors just have impeccable timing, and are just amazing at improv. Some of the sketches brought up serious subjects, like feminism, but in a way that made the audience laugh at themselves. I enjoy this kind of comedy.
The sketches were amazing. Some were short two liners, others were a few minutes long. As much as I loved the sketches, my favorite part would have to be the improv. I am always impressed when people are good at improv.  Personally, I'm not witty or funny enough to come up with a response off the top of my head, so to see these people doing it without missing a beat puts me in a state of awe.  The group engaged the audience.  They called out asking for suggestions, in a manner, which reminded me of the show "Whose Line is it Anyways?".  What they received were some weird suggestions, and what the audience got in return were some weird skits.  One that I found amusing was that, based on an audience suggestion, two of the actors had to be a mother and a baby giraffe, but they both had secrets. The baby was really a duck and the mom was adopted. The scene which unfolded was as bizarre as you could imagine.
Everything they did was entertaining. They threw a few little songs in the mix. They had a few classic jokes.  They even sat down and talked to two people in the audience (who happened to have met online and were on their second date). The show was captivating and hilarious. I would see them again and again, because, with improv, no two shows are ever the same.
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment