Monday, October 27, 2014

Day Thirty-Seven: Tea

This morning I woke up and I wasn't feeling great. After a very small breakfast I drank some tea (as per Alice's suggestion). The chai green tea really helped me feel better. I always find tea to be therapeutic.  If I'm tired, cold, sick, or grumpy, I find tea can always fix things.  I think part of it is the tea itself, the flavors and the smells, along with the antioxidants and nutrition, but part of it is definitely the soothing effect of drinking a hot liquid. It just warms you from the inside out, and it always brings a smile to my face.
This afternoon I went to a guest lecture about tea. The woman giving the lecture was a professor at UC Santa Barbara. She talked about tea marketing in the 1930s and 1940s, and how it worked to remove the idea of imperialism, and focus on how tea revitalizes you. I found it very interesting. Big tea companies tried their hands at market researching, and using different advertising approaches in different parts of the world. In the US, they focused on iced tea, because it seemed more manly, and less British.  I never realized how much culture had an impact on tea, both the consumption and the marketing of it. One item really symbolized the change from a world of empires, to a world of self-governing, and developing, countries. So cheers!
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment