Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day Nineteen: Swim

A few weeks ago practice for swim club started. I had never had the opportunity to be in a swim team, but I have always loved swimming. I decided I would join the club and swim; I wouldn't be the only person new to a swim team. Immediately I loved it. Swimming is hard work, but it's a lot of fun. I did sports all through high school, but swimming is different. It's more of a full body workout than I thought it would be. Now I have to actively think about my breathing. Unlike running or skiing, I can't just breath whenever I want. I really like how much I need to think while I swim, yet I still find my mind can wonder off.
As with anything, you get better with practice. Although it's only been a few weeks, I can feel myself getting stronger; I can feel myself going faster; but most importantly, I am getting better at my strokes. Thanks to the vice swim president, I can now swim butterfly. She nicely took time out of her schedule to teach me how to do this difficult stroke. It really is hard. I feel awkward doing it because your elbows, unlike when doing freestyle, aren't supposed to be bent. It also takes a lot of upper body strength, especially shoulders. It's very difficult and sometimes I still feel like I'm drowning myself, but I'm improving, and I think that's what swimming is all about for me; self improvement.
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment