Saturday, October 11, 2014

Day Twenty-One: Parents' Weekend

This weekend is Alumni Weekend as well as Homecoming and Parents' Weekend here at good ol' Groovy UV (UVM).  Walking around campus there are many events going on, including segway campus tours, for those who are either too lazy to walk or coordinated enough to not fall off of one. My parents and I chose to walk, knowing that if I were to try to ride a segway things wouldn't end well.  Although we come up to Burlington a lot, this was different. It felt so nice to be able to show my parents around my school and get to tell them about all the amazing things their money is allowing me to do.  I realized today how cozy campus feels. That could partly have been due to the fact that the autumn wind made me bundle up a little more, but Vermont really is a cozy place, and UVM captures that environment.
As it was Homecoming and Alumni Weekend as well, there were so many great events planned.  I got to sit in on a dialogue with Tony Kushner, a playwright and screenwriter.  I felt so honored to be sitting in the same room as tony Kushner. He has given so many silenced groups voices. The dialogue went well, and he is one funny man.
This evening was the A Capella Homecoming concert.  I have a few friends who are in the various a capella groups on campus. It was really nice to be able to hear them all perform. The musical talent was just through the roof, and everything was entertaining.  I love that all four groups do modern and interesting songs; the know what the audience wants to hear. The crowd was huge and the concert was amazing!
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment