Sunday, October 19, 2014

Day Twenty-Nine: Gym Culture

Since I've been at school, I've been working in the gym. For the most part, the women use the cardio machines and do lighter lifting or bodyweight exercises, and the men do more heavy lifting. Now, there are exceptions to every rule. Some guys use the treadmills and some women do lift with heavy weights, but that isn't the norm. When a guy uses a cardio machine (typically besides the treadmill or the bike) people say he won't get as big, that he's going to have a girl's physique. If a woman lifts with heavier weights people tell her that she'll get too ripped and look like a guy. I don't understand why people do this. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to their body and their workouts. And, with varying levels of hormones between a woman's and a man's bodies, the same workouts will effect their builds differently.  I think people need to change gym culture, to allow women to do heavy lifting if they want, and men to use cardio machines if that's what they prefer. We need to create an atmosphere where women feel welcome to do whatever workout they want, be it cardio, light lifting, or heavy lifting with the guys.  So much in our culture has been okay for either gender to do, and I think a simple gym workout should be one.
That being said, I have been going to the gym a lot more recently. Before, I wasn't always sure what I should do to get a good workout with weights, and I'm still not completely sure with certain elements, but by going to the gym I've become more familiar with the weights and my body.  As I work, I glance around and see what other people are doing, getting inspiration and knowledge from them. I admit I'm not the strongest or most knowledgeable, but at least I try. I feel lucky to have found a space where people are more welcoming. Most of the time at the UVM gym women feel comfortable to do the workouts they choose, and even get help from others. As I get stronger, I feel better about myself. At first I was ashamed of how few reps I could do, or how light of a weight I was using, but as I've gotten stronger, I've gained more confidence in the gym while I work out. I feel strong mentally and physically, and like I belong there with the guys, and girls, in the gym. It really makes me feel accomplished because I couldn't say this a few months back.
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment