Saturday, October 18, 2014

Day Twenty-Eight: The Ballet

Tonight I went to see the Aspen Santa Fe Ballet at the Flynn. I saw this as part of my theatre TAP class I'm in. It wasn't a traditional ballet; it was more contemporary. The performance was only made up of a few performers. They incorporated moves that weren't traditional ballet dance moves. It was jarring, but helped tell the story. The dancers weren't always doing the same thing, which created a cool effect. They reacted to each other, creating a chain of movement among the dancers, which was very fluid.
The dancers were very uniform. The women were the same height and build as each other; they all had brown hair put up the same way. Similarly, the men were the same height and build. One thing, however, that surprised me was the one of the men was bald. The other two had brown hair, styled in the same way. Based on how uniform everything else was, I would have assumed he would have had hair as well. Then, in the second act, a black dancer came out. He hadn't been part of the first act, which I found odd. I wonder if they used him, the fact that he wasn't uniform like everyone else, as a statement to add meaning to the specific piece. Regardless of their reasoning, the show was really good. I never see dance performance, and even more rarely do I see ballets, so I'm really glad I got the opportunity.
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment