Sunday, November 2, 2014

Day Forty-Three: Body Image

Working in a gym, I see all types of people working out. I see the self-declared gym rats lifting with their "bros" and I see people stepping into the gym for the first time, and people everywhere else on the spectrum.  As someone who enjoys her time at the gym, likes working out and staying in shape, seeing everyone who comes in is motivating.  When I'm tired or feeling lazy, I think about the person I saw at work, who was recovering from a serious injury, and it reminds me that I can do my workout too, no matter what's mentally crippling me.  I also like to watch what people do.  Going to the gym is fairly new to me, so I still haven't found the perfect routine for myself, especially with my upper body. I like to take a look around and see what others are doing; I make a mental note to try it later, and see if it's something I want to add into my routine.
At the gym, no matter where people are in the fitness journey, people have the same underlying goal: they want to get in (or stay in) shape.  For me personally, working out in any form isn't about how slim I'll look after so many miles or so many reps, it's about how good I will feel.  For me, working out is a stress reliever and a way to declutter my brain.  I like feeling in shape, knowing that today, because of the work I put in, I'm stronger than I was a week ago. I also like to prove people wrong, including myself. A few years back I never would have guessed I'd be working at a gym, much less loving going there to work out, and do more than just cardio.  I also like to prove others wrong, in a light-hearted way.  It gives me satisfaction to go over to the weights and lift or know how to use certain exercise machines, because I hear way too often that girls can't lift.  So yes, I work out, but I do it for myself. And the positive body image I get from working out doesn't come from how I look in the mirror, but looking back on what I accomplished and feeling good about what my body allows me to do.
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment