Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Day Ten: Autumn

Autumn is in... everything but the air. As I walk outside it feels more like a June day than the brisk Vermont fall I love. The beginning of September felt like November, and now, as we reach October, it feels like I should be starting summer vacation. The brisk air and the cool gusts of wind define autumn for me. I get surprised when I see how colorful the trees are, because they appear out of place in this weather. I guess I shouldn't be complaining about the heat. In a few months time I will be begging for the sun to stay a little longer, to heat the Earth up just a few degrees more.
Temperature complaints aside, autumn is my favorite time of year. It's (usually) not too hot and not too cold. The mountainside looks like a box of crayons (if you only use the red, orange and yellow shades), and the paths are paved with crunching leaves. Autumn is the perfect excuse to sip on pumpkin spice lattes, or my favorite, pumpkin chai lattes. The drinks, although they are stereotypical white girl drinks, taste like fall. They warm me up from the inside out and can instantly turn my day around.
Fall is also the perfect excuse to change up your look a little. I like to take the summer clothes I bought a few months back and wear them in a new way. I'll add scarves or cardigans. Maybe I'll through a sweater over a dress to only show the skirt. I don't think you need to have a separate fall wardrobe; piece together your summer and your winter staples and you'll save money and space. Fall is also the perfect time to wear flannels. If you're not from Vermont, or other areas of New England, you have been late to the flannel seen. Us Vermonters have been wearing flannels since the good ol' days for practical reason. Only recently have the mainstream clothing brands, and runway designers, caught on to the trend and the unique pattern. Flannels are warm, easy to wear and practical. They're perfect for layering on the days when the morning is cold, but you know things will heat up by mid-afternoon. Unlike most other layering pieces, flannels actually become even more "trendy" (dare I even say it) when you take them off. Take the flannel off and tie it around your waist and you look like you just walked off the runway at New York Fashion Week.
So, if you're like me and love fall, go outside and jump in the leaves; go apple picking and just enjoy sitting in the crisp air. And if you prefer to stay inside, cuddle up with a nice hot spiced beverage and enjoy the vibrant colors through a window.
-Libby Morehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment